Tuesday 3 January 2012

The Year that has Gone By...


Phew!! What an exhausting end to the year it was! And it's a wonder I still remember the login credentials to this blog as it's been more than a year since I last updated it...Sorry to keep all of you waiting for so long for my particular brand of sardonic and sarcastic humour (atleast that's what I like to think of my sense of humour as..Sounds so witty and wordy, no?) !
So anyway, coming back to the old year-new year juxtapose..What a rollercoaster year it has been! I finally let go of my parent company after four and a half long years...It was with a very heavy heart I bid adieu to the company I started my career with and to all the lasting friendships I'd made in the course of my duration over there..I still remember how I had made it through the selection process and the way I'd given my interview with a don't-care attitude! I remember I was the only person there wearing a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers! Can you believe any company other than IBM actually selecting me after this?! But everything wasn't hunky dory once I joined..Had to go through a lot of wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee moments before I got the hang of actually being in a job..But being my first company, I'll always have a soft spot for it and yes, I do plan on going back someday..Once I'm rich and don't care so much about the money part!  
After saying teary goodbyes to IBM and everyone in it, I had to join CTS...Now there was a cultural shock if I ever knew one! I'm still adjusting and trying to work it out...But finding it difficult and missing all and sundry in IBM...Even the actual office I was based out of! First of all, access to the internet is limited...That means no Facebook, no Gmail or anything else which has the capability of providing some succour for from the dull, dreary work I'm going to be doing here! On top of that, the leave system here sucks big time...CTS doesn't have unlimited sick leaves! Infact according to the company policy, an employee gets only half a day of sick leave per month! How illogical and stupid is that?! I mean, how do you limit the number of times a person can fall ill in a month? Agreed that people take advantage of the unlimited sick leaves in IBM, but limiting them to such a ridiculous number is downright slavery if you ask me! On top of that, you are provided with four vacation leaves and one leave per month as and when you complete it (if I understood what the HR was blabbering during induction correctly!)...So in all, you get only 16 paid leaves in a year! How unfair is that?! And they even make you work like donkeys if what I see is anything to go by...So in short, my life is screwed from now onwards! The only bright spot in this godforsaken situation is that I'm well compensated for...I now have more money to spend on clothes and books and makeup! Yay!!! 
Now the last weekend of the year, was very far from being a relaxing, partying and lazy kinda one...My parents wanted to set up the new place they'd bought and the whole of Saturday (31st December that is) was spent unpacking all the stuff they'd sent over from Nagpur...And not just unpacking mind you...They even wanted to set it up properly...So there I was, tearing through cardboard and bubble wrap and thermocol (this was the fun part especially as bubble wrap was involved!)...I kinda like the destructive side of me...Hmmm, will need to explore it more! They even wanted the washing machine functional for crying out loud and I was made to run to get some parts for it to the nearest hardware store...Apart from that, I also made tea and coffee for everyone not once but twice! By the end of it, mom, dad and me were sprawled on the bed and were contemplating just having some dinner and turning in for the night, to hell with New Year's Eve! But we decided against that and went to my uncle and aunt's...My cousin brothers along with their wives and one kid were visiting too...Had a good time just lounging around eating, drinking and making merry in general...Once it was 12am, everyone wished everyone and we left for home...I crept gratefully into bed but it was a small consolation as the next day was going to prove to be as hectic...My aunt had organised a get together for all the family and friends for her grandson (my nephew)...So had to be present there the next day, working my ass off again! But that was fun work so didn't mind as such and plus I was meeting the whole family after a long time...So it was quite a different new year I had from the partying one I usually do and I really liked it! 
That's it from my end...Comments and inputs are of course always welcome...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's wishing you an exciting new year babes!

Archie said...

Babes...coudn't help but notice the compensation part of your new blog, which reminded me of the pending treat :))..I know I am a jerk...but wat the heck..might as well cash in on it...hehe..
Good blog....

Arwen said...

@tandra: Thanks gal! :)
@Archie: yeah right! But you need to meet me first for that na..

Parijat Naha said...

to begin with, wishing you and ur family a Very Happy New Year! Twas nice to know how you celebrated the onset of the new year... what better way to do it than with family!

about ur new job, all i can say is... u r not alone... lets join hands and stand up to this malice with benefits...

keep writing...

Arwen said...

@parijat: thanks man! your encouragement means a lot as u write so well yourself! :) will try to be as regular as possible..but that doesn't seem likely..
oh and a very happy new year to you and your family too! :)

Nidhi Chahal said...

well girl...cognizant isnt that bad..my first company afterall.. :P

and while I was reading this,i felt as if u r actually speaking it.. amking those faces...lolz..its like u write ur 'spoken' lingo here... made me smile...will read more now..:D

Arwen said...

@nidhi: yes now i know it's not that bad! :P and this blog is intended to make the one who reads it, smile...so yes, mission accomplished! :)
yeah please do read the other posts too :)